On Air Now

Watko in the Afternoon

1:00pm - 6:00pm

Now Playing

Chic

I Want Your Love

First Minister John Swinney tells Celtic fans to behave ahead of Scottish Cup final

First Minister John Swinney has urged Celtic fans to behave ahead of the Scottish Cup final this weekend.

The Glasgow club will play Dunfermline at Hampden Park on Saturday - one week on from when Hoops fans invaded the Celtic Park pitch following their team's third goal against Hearts to lift the Scottish Premiership trophy.

Thousands of supporters then flocked to the Trongate area of the city to celebrate, but the festivities led to ugly clashes with Police Scotland.

The force said police "came under sustained attack from missiles and bottles" while dealing with a medical emergency, which resulted in two officers being seriously injured.

Fourteen arrests were made on the day - four at the stadium and 10 in the Trongate area.

The scenes were condemned across the political spectrum with then justice secretary Angela Constance - who has since been moved to the health brief - telling MSPs no punishment was off the table.

Indeed, Mr Swinney said he was "open" to the question of criminalising pitch invasions at football games following the "unacceptable" behaviour.

On Thursday, the first minister urged fans to "desist".

He said: "There is absolutely no justification for any form of disorder or violence in and around a football match, or in any other circumstance in our society.

"So, the events of last weekend were appalling and they cannot be repeated.

"So, I simply say to the minority of Celtic fans that were involved in the disorder last weekend to desist in being involved in that violence, to act like all the other Celtic fans who simply celebrated the football and to ensure that there is not the disorder that took place last week.

"Of course, we will engage as a government with the city council and the football authorities in trying to take whatever steps can be taken to try to avoid a repeat of last Saturday's unacceptable events."

Read more from Sky News:
UK braces for bank holiday heatwave
Football Association launches probe into 'spygate'

Following the disorder, calls were made to create title party fan zones for supporters.

Glasgow City Council, however, rejected the suggestion, arguing it "simply isn't credible", despite the Scottish government disagreeing.

Asked if talks were ongoing about creating such areas, Mr Swinney said: "Ministers will be in contact with the football authorities to try and advance some of these issues."

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: First Minister John Swinney tells Celtic fans to behave ahead of Scottish Cup final

More from National News

  • Supporting The Stags

    Mansfield 103.2 is a proud supporter of Mansfield Town Football Club - head to their website for all the latest Stags related news.

  • Send Us A Message

    Want to get in touch with our presenters or our news team? Then a great way to do it is through our website

  • The Mansfield 103.2 Business Club

    Check out our brand new business directory and if you want to join call our sales team now on 01623 646666.

  • Best Of The Best

    Brought to you by CIP Cassells, the music battle continues between John B and Watko every weekday on Mansfield 103.2. Vote for your favourite song each morning just after 8am.

News