On Air Now

Watko in the Afternoon

1:00pm - 6:00pm

Now Playing

One Republic

Runaway

Bodies of missing divers found in Maldives

The bodies of four missing divers have been found in the Maldives.

Five Italians are believed to have died while exploring a cave at a depth of around 50m (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy's Foreign Ministry.

The Maldives ​government said ​on Monday ‌that ​the bodies of all the scuba ‌divers had now been ⁠located, after one of the missing was found last week.

An initial search was suspended after local military diver Mohamed Mahudhee died during a perilous mission to try to reach them, but searches resumed on Monday.

The victims from the Italian group have been identified as Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; researcher Muriel Oddenino; and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, according to the Maldivian government.

Mr Benedetti's body was recovered near the mouth of the cave on Thursday. Authorities believe the other four had entered the cave.

The cause of the deaths is under investigation.

Mr Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Mr Mahudhee was buried with military honours in a funeral on Saturday night, with the country's President Mohamed Muizzu in attendance.

Italy's foreign minister Antonio Tajani said everything possible would be done to bring the victims home and offered his condolences for the death of Mr Mahudhee.

Rough weather has impacted rescue efforts throughout the mission.

What was the group doing?

The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip denied authorising or knowing about the deep dive that exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Saturday.

The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30m (98ft).

Read more from Sky News:
Tube strikes: Full list of dates and lines affected
UK formally assesses bid for Olympics in 2040s

Ms Montefalcone and Ms Oddenino were in the Maldives on an official scientific mission to monitor marine environments and study the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity, the University of Genoa said in a statement on Friday.

But the scuba diving activity during which the deadly incident occurred was not part of the planned research and was "undertaken privately", it said.

The statement also said the two other victims - student Ms Sommacal and recent graduate Mr Gualtieri - were not part of the scientific mission.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Bodies of missing divers found in Maldives

More from National News

  • Supporting The Stags

    Mansfield 103.2 is a proud supporter of Mansfield Town Football Club - head to their website for all the latest Stags related news.

  • Send Us A Message

    Want to get in touch with our presenters or our news team? Then a great way to do it is through our website

  • The Mansfield 103.2 Business Club

    Check out our brand new business directory and if you want to join call our sales team now on 01623 646666.

  • Best Of The Best

    Brought to you by CIP Cassells, the music battle continues between John B and Watko every weekday on Mansfield 103.2. Vote for your favourite song each morning just after 8am.

News