| Craig French|
13th March, 2012 - Tasty Tuesdays Recipe #11 - Pork & Apple Sausage Rolls
A Sausage Roll is a type of savory pastry commonly served at parties and available from bakeries and milk bars as a take-away food item.
Originating from the United Kingdom, it is also very popular in the Republic of Ireland, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
The basic composition of a sausage roll is generally a sheet or sheets of puff pastry formed into tubes around sausage meat and glazed with egg or milk before being baked. They can be served either hot or cold.
500g Ready Made Puff Pastry
1 kg Pork Sausage Meat
1 Red Onion
1 tbps Mixed Herbs
50g Apple Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas 2.
2. Finely dice the red onion and lightly fry until soft, add the mixed herbs to the red onion.
3. Allow the red onion mix to cool.
4. Once the red onion mix is cool add to the Pork sausage meat and mix well.
5. Add the Apple sauce to the sausage meat.
6. Roll the puff pastry out in to 15cm by 10cm pieces.
7. Place the sausage mixture on the puff pastry and roll into a sausage shape.
8. Egg brush the sausage roll and lightly cut the top of the sausage roll but don’t go all the way through.
9. Bake for about 15-20minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour.
10. Best served warm.
Follow Craig French on Twitter @craigfrench2
Follow Twin Oaks Hotel on Twitter @Twinoakshotel
Or Add the Twin Oaks Hotel on Face book. Twinoakshotel
Other blog entries: